Afghanistan: More than 10,000 civilian casualties in 2017, says UN

0
133

The United Nations said on Thursday that more than 10,000 civilians were killed or wounded in the ongoing war in Afghanistan in 2017, with militant bombings responsible for inflicting maximum casualties.

Militants in Afghanistan have ramped up their assaults on urban centers in response to US President Donald Trump introducing a more aggressive US strategy in Afghanistan in August including a surge in air strikes on militant strongholds.

Read more: Terror attacks – Af-Pak relations hit a new low

What does the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) report say?

  • The overall civilian toll last year was 3,438 killed and 7,015 wounded
  • The casualties fell 9 percent compared with 2016
  • 2017 was the fourth consecutive year, where the UN recorded more than 10,000 civilian causalities.
  • Nearly two-thirds of all casualties were caused by anti-government elements with the Taliban and the ‘IS’ inflicting maximum damage.
  • Pro-government forces caused a fifth of civilian casualties with 16 percent attributed to Afghan forces, 2 per cent to international forces.
  • Casualties caused by airstrikes carried out by international military forces and Afghan air forces jumped 7 percent.
  • Number of women killed in the conflict rose 5 percent.
  • Child casualties — 861 killed and 2,318 injured — fell by 10 percent compared with 2016.
  • Suicide and complex attacks — when assailants combine two or more modes of attack on one target at the same time — caused 22 percent of all civilian casualties

ap/rt (AP, Reuters)

LEAVE A REPLY